In order to assure the standard of embryology care, certification of embryology practitioners is one of the core missions of American College of Embryology.
At this time, Embryology practice is unregulated in the United States on the federal level, and only a handful of states regulate it at the state level. Therefore, certification by American College of Embryology or any other organization is not required to practice embryology. However, this may change and some form of certification or license will be required. Many outstanding practitioners already became certified by EMBCOL.
Please note that effective July 30th 2020, EMBCOL offers only one type of general certification - Reproductive Embryologist.
Certification requirements for Reproductive Embryologist:
- Hold earned Ph.D. or M.D. from an accredited university
- Approved by a group comprised of Certified Reproductive Embryologists (CRE)
- Certification process:
- Submit application with the applicable fee
- Designated CRE will review the documents you submit. You may contact a certified EMB to sponsor your application.
- Online interview will be scheduled
- During the interview, designated CREs (usually not more than five) will be asking you questions to determine whether you qualify
- Designated CRE's will vote on accepting you into certification
- An email will be sent to all CREs to inform them about an applicant to make sure there are no factors that disqualify the candidate
- If approved, you will be notified and after payment of the certification fee, the Reproductive Embryologist certificate will be issued
Reproductive Embryologist privileges:
- Proudly display your certificate
- Listing on the EMBCOL website
- Ability to accredit up to 3 IVF clinics on behalf of EMBCOL with the issuance of an EMBCOL electronic certificate
- Access to the educational activities available exclusively to Reproductive Endocrinologists
Reproductive Embryologist responcibilities:
- Participation in EMBCOL educational activities
- Pay EMBCOL dues
- Be available to certify new EMBCOL applicants
Click here to see certification cost